Assemblage has carried out numerous analysis and urban designs across London. Below are a sample of the projects carried out for Urban Practitioners.
Dacorum, Hertfordshire, UK
- Assessment of urban characteristics of Dacorum’s towns and villages to guide urban design policies in the Council’s new LDF. The assessment makes a rigorous analysis across an array of criteria ranging from heights, densities, and setbacks, to materials/textures and street-scape elements.
- A series of specially selected sites were tested across the Borough for their capacity to absorb further housing. Particular account was taken of the Dacorum Urban Design Assessment in order to determine appropriate massing and plot configurations for new development. The findings of the study were used to extrapolate estimates for housing capacity for the wider Borough. The project included training of Dacorum BC planning officers with the new recommendations.
Sixfields, Northampton, UK
- Design for a District Centre involving the formulation of new residential, retail, and industrial areas and considerable alteration of local highways. The study contributed to the Council’s Area Action Plan and assisted the determination of current applications. [ 0423 ]
Southend-on-Sea, Essex, UK
- Study addressing the development possibilities and technical problems raised by two major landslips in the sloping terrain of Cliffs Gardens at Southend-on-Sea. A public gallery and museum is proposed on one of the slip sites, taking advantage of the vigorous topography, garden setting, and extensive views. [ 0523 ]
Dover, Kent, UK
- Analysis and masterplan strategies setting out urban principles for Dover, together with a sequence of site studies along the two main spinal routes of the central district. The studies and recommendations are for a variety of urban elements including built form, open space, axes and sight-lines, water, vegetation, and not least, the extraordinary local topography. [ 0515 ]
Cranbrook, Kent, UK
- A site study exploring options for redevelopment of an existing community facility. The study focuses on issues such as area and unit yields, parking, amenity, potential uses, plot distribution, and massing. [ 0701 ]
Gravesend, Kent, UK
- Strategic design framework for Gravesend and surrounding hinterland. The study involved a careful analysis of the existing town and district and included indicative master plans of focus areas. [ 0412 ]
Black Horse Lane, Waltham Forest, London, UK
- Alteration and further development of an existing masterplan. The study includes reconfiguring building heights and placements, calculation of dwelling unit types and densities, and resolution of parking and access configurations. [ 0615 ]
Charlton, London, UK
Stewarts Road, Battersea, London, UK
Leyton, Waltham Forest, London, UK
- Future loading on the transport infrastructure of this area of London was analysed in this study by desk modelling the housing capacities of available and up coming sites in the surrounding catchment area [ 0618 ]
Eastham, Newham, London, UK
- A development study for the historic Town Hall precinct in East Ham, London. The study area takes in a number of listed buildings over two city blocks, including the Town Hall, Old Technical College, Town Hall Annexe, and Old Gym.
- Radically, the study proposes a new civic space parallel to Barking Road which works to group the historic buildings and focus new development. Indicative companion housing projects are also proposed. Whilst achieving required yields and meeting London Plan and Local Plan constraints, the proposed buildings maintain a dynamism and strong urban quality. [ 0611 ]
Gants Hill, London, UK
- Housing capacity study of the Gants Hill roundabout/Tube station area. The study proposes an indicative master-plan to test and confirm proposed unit densities and massing. The study examines a number of issues in detail: access, car parking, circulation, amenity space, unit geometries; unit type mixes and architectural layout, tenure options, massing, and daylight penetration. [ 0516 ]
Tower Hamlets, London, UK
- Part of the rejuvenation of libraries in the London borough of Tower Hamlets via the Idea Store initiative. The study scourers the borough for suitable sites and systematically reports on their suitability. Four sites were identified and feasibility studies run on each, assessing access, massing and architectural issues. [ 0513 ]
Clapham, London, UK
- Options analysis for development of the urban block fronting Clapham High Street containing Clapham Baths. As the site is surrounded by established residential streets, contains existing mixed uses, and engages two Conservation Areas, the development options proposed strike a complex balance between market expectations and planning constraints. [ 0512 ]
Wood Green, Haringey, London, UK
- Text [ 0622 ]
Bethnal Green, Hackney, London, UK
- A mixed use building with small commercial at ground floor and residential to upper floors on an inner-city London site. A new ground plane of amenity space for residents is formed over the commercial parking in the central block area. Units are clustered in groups around cores and provided with generous private outdoor space.